Sunday, September 28, 2014

Disneyland/California 2014 Part 4: Treasure Island beach, hard things and tender mercies. (Thurs, Sept 11, 2014)

 We took a day off from Disneyland to rest our feet and see what else California had to offer. One thing that I really wanted to do on this trip was find a good spot to snorkel. Kurt and I went snorkeling while in Cancun a few years ago and I wanted to go again. I got online and decided that Treasure Island Beach sounded like the perfect spot. The reviews said it had two tide pools and that the waves were very small for small children to play. Off we went!




Treasure Island Beach is probably one of the most beautiful beaches that I have ever seen. Even on vacation being in one of the prettiest places this morning I was feeling down and distressed. I hesitate sharing this post because it's personal and I'm still trying to learn the lesson that I can be taught from it.  It would be much easier to just post pictures portraying a perfect day but today it's worth sharing my deeper thoughts...

 I had been missing my wedding ring for a couple of days. I tried looking for it that morning but still could not find it. The night before I had heard from a friend that our condo building had been struck by lightning causing our downstairs neighbors TV to not work. I was worried about things at home and felt that the last thing we needed was to have any big expenses come up. These two issues triggered other anxieties and concerns that were weighing me down.

The beauty of the beach didn't disappoint but the tide was strong and didn't seem like a good place to snorkel like I had read online. I was disappointed but decided to just enjoy what was there. While Devri was enjoying the sand Kurt lounged under the umbrella to play and keep watch on her.  I took a little walk along the parkway...







I thought it was interesting that while I was walking I saw some sister missionaries. Kurt and I had had a conversation earlier in the trip that we could feel we were out of the bubble we have in Utah. Here in California if we were in a restaurant there was a big possibility that we were the only LDS people there. It's not a bad thing just something we are not used too. Hence, it was fun to see people that I knew were of my faith. I just love the special spirit that I feel when I see missionaries. I introduced myself. One of the sisters was from Layton, Utah and the other was from Virginia. 

I got back from my walk and greeted Kurt and Devri (still loving the sand).



Before it was time to go I wanted to spend some time in the water. The salt water makes my skin so soft and I love the waves. A little south of our spot on the beach the tide had seemed to have gone down and there were a lot of people out swimming. I got in and floated over the waves. By me there was a group of 5 ladies and I made a point to stay right near them so that I was not alone in the ocean. It felt so good and refreshing!

 Minutes later I found myself in turbulent water that I had somehow gotten sucked into. I could not seem to maneuver myself very well and I was getting tired quickly. I started to panic and then I started panicking big time. I saw a lifeguard coming in after me, I felt relieved but also more anxious. He got to me and handed me a float device. He had a hard time getting us back to shore another lifeguard came to help. When I finally hit land and the tide was flowing back into the ocean I remember being on my hands and knees digging my hands into the sand so the tide would not take me back out. I got some strength and ran out on dry sand. I could not believe what had just happened and I wanted all the emotions that I had just felt to go away! The lifeguard tried talking to me in my bewildered state--asking if I had swallowed a lot of water and if I was OK. I didn't think I had swallowed a lot of water but I could tell I swallowed some sand. I was out of breath, tired and emotionally traumatized.  I don't think that I was ever underwater long enough to not have enough air but it was scary. I walked back to my family. When I showed up Kurt's first words were "What happened to you?". My scalp, hair and body were covered in sand. I was all disarrayed and sopping wet. I tried to calmly tell him what happened without alarming him too much. He handled it with lots of concern and comforted me as I eventually just wrapped myself in my towel and sobbed. In that moment I felt like I had NO CONTROL of anything in my life (a lot of times still do:)) including my safety. 

Relived to know I was with my daughter, husband and that my pregnant self was safe, Kurt reminded me that I was being watched over. I think that its not coincidence that I saw the sister missionaries today. I think that God knowing that I would be going through that hard experience placed something I could physically see in my day to remind me of the gospel in my life and show me evidence that he is there.  The thought came to me that I should re read The Tender Mercies of the Lord by David Bednar. What David Bednar shares in this paragraph stood out to me and are my feeling on the matter.

"My mind was drawn immediately to Nephi’s phrase “the tender mercies of the Lord,” and I knew in that very moment I was experiencing just such a tender mercy. A loving Savior was sending me a most personal and timely message of comfort and reassurance through a hymn selected weeks previously. Some may count this experience as simply a nice coincidence, but I testify that the tender mercies of the Lord are real and that they do not occur randomly or merely by coincidence. Often, the Lord’s timing of His tender mercies helps us to both discern and acknowledge them."  David Bednar

Seeing the missionaries,  a lifeguard coming after me,  Kurt finding my wedding ring the next day (under a chair in our room), things ending up being ok at home and the spirit helping me to realize God presence in my life were all tender mercies from the Lord that I experienced those couple of days. 

Before we headed back to the house the three of us went back to talk to the lifeguard. I thought it would help me get some closure on what just happened. I also wanted to thank him, feeling that if it were not for him that I would have most likely drowned. He told us that I had been caught in a rip current. I had never heard of a rip current. He said that people don't realize how hazardous this beach can be (totally opposite from the review online). He said he pulls people out all the time which made me feel a little better. I told him we were from Utah and not very familiar with the ocean. He told me to not be afraid of the ocean (yeah right I think that I am traumatized for life:))  and told me what you should do when trapped in a rip current.

Time to leave. Love that she loved to wear the goggles all the time.



When we got to the house my friend Amy greeted us. I told her my story. We got in the pool. I'll still get in the pool but I don't think I'll be in the ocean any time soon.









The rest of the day we relaxed at the house, watched the BYU football game and rested up for our final day at Disneyland (to come next). 
    

2 comments:

Logan & Brooke said...

Great post Alanna! I'm glad you're okay! Thank you for sharing.

MDawg said...

That sounds so scary, Alanna! I'm so glad you are safe and that you feel more peace of mind after the experience. -Melissa