Saturday, March 20, 2010

Plug For New Family Search


Have you been on New Family Search yet? In the past I have attempted to do family history work, but, felt too overwhelmed. Recently, the church released a new website called New Family Search. I'm sure most of you who are members of the church have heard about it if not been on it. It's very very cool. The Website is www.new.familysearch.org . Since October I have been using this web site. Kurt calls it my addiction. I have been wanting to write about it for some time now.

To register and use the site. You will need your membership number (it's found on your temple recommend or from your ward clerk) and your confirmation date (If you don't remember it go to your ward clerk). Once you get in I recommend going through the introduction and tuturials. You can also get help from your Family History Consultant in your ward or go to the family history library.

Now it's so much faster to do family history and temple work with technological advances. In the past it's been precieved that only your grandma and retired people had time to do family history(which probably was true). I think that now that perception is and I hope is changing. Besides, as they sa,y us younger folk are much more technology literate.:)


My mother is a convert to the church. She is the only member in her family. In her early years of first joining the church she has done a lot of temple and family history work. This was 15+ years ago it took her hours and hours days and days to gather data. It was so much harder to find information. Now I have been able to fill the the holes and find more information much faster through the internet. This also lead me to continue what was yet to be found. So far I have submitted more then 70 names to have there temple work and learned so much. I could go on and on. Maybe another post.


Some of you might be thinking "Well thats cool" ,but, someone in your family is the geneology guru or your family has been members for years. It's still interesting and easy to log on to new family search and make sure that everything is in order. You never know, if you have the desire and the spirit promps you maybe there is something you can do. There is always work to be done.


I'm more then happy to share how I do my research if you are interested e-mail or give me a call. It's so much easier when you know what you are doing.


Here is the software I use:

Roots Magic- This is where I store my family tree and data. There is a free version and there is also a $20 one time fee version. I bought the $20 version. I love this program because it connects to New Family Search which makes it super fast to tranfer data back and forth as you find it. You won't have to enter data two different places.

Ancestry.com - This website I do all my research. There is a lot of information. There is a membership fee but you can use it at the family history library for free. There is a 14 day trial and in reality if you really want to get into family history it's totally worth the membership fee. At least use the 14 day trial. It's amazing what you can find ecsprcially by connection with others. Through ancestry I communicate with a second cousin twice removed and have found many other distant cousins and can view there family trees.

Google - I google my ansestors names all the time. A lot of times nothing comes up. But, there are a handful of times were things do!

No comments: