Let me tell you a story about that handsome devil above. Well actually…he’s not a devil, he’s a missionary in California….and yes…it’s me. But really, this story isn’t about me. It’s about a humble family that desired happiness and truth. I just happened to play a small part in their story and I consider it one of the greatest blessing I have received.
Let’s go back to the fall of 2002 when I was serving in East Sacramento. At this time I was companions with Elder Merino shown here
He’s a cutie, eh? And yes…he did drink Pero…..YUCK!
One day we had the privilege of spreading the word door to door. For those of you that have ever done this you know it’s probably the least enjoyable activity ever. If you don’t believe me stop reading now and go knock three houses in your neighborhood and tell them you brought them a book to read. Believe me you will feel stupid…but nonetheless it’s part of the missionary gig and at times you find nice people that actually give you the time of day.
Again I digress….so there we were standing at a door waiting for someone to answer. I remember a nice lady peaking through her curtains before opening the door. She later told me that when she looked out the window she thought we were angels. When she opened the door we went through the same speech we gave to everyone else on that street that day. She introduced herself as Alexandra and she was from Ecuador. She then began to open up about her current situation. With tears in her eyes, she explained to us the grief that plagued her life. She prayed daily that somehow a miracle would happen. The father of her children was drinking his life away and she considered whether it would be best to take the children and leave him. I remember her crying and she begged us to help change him. I told her that there was a chance for change if they just listened to the message that we brought. She was the only one home so we couldn’t enter her home and teach her at that time. We set an appointment for November 23rd and looked forward to coming back.
When we arrived for our schedule appointment her husband Leonardo, from Guatemala, answered the door. I wasn’t sure what to expect but was surprised when he was quite friendly. He explained to us that Alexandra was not home but we were more than welcome to teach him that day. We spent the next 90 minutes doing more listening than teaching, which was a little frustrating. He told us about all his religious ideas and how his mother was a preacher for a church when he grew up. Later in our conversation I saw his heart soften, and heard a little more sincerity in his voice. He explained to us how he felt like he had sinned past the point of forgiveness. Fear came across his face as he looked at me and asked if their was hope for him and if he could ever be forgiven. I don’t remember my exact response but they were words of encouragement.
We later found Alexandra at home and over the next couple of weeks we taught her and her two children all the lessons. Leonardo told us after our first visit that he had no interest in our message but felt it was something good for his wife and two little kids to hear. This was a little surprising for me since I knew he sincerely wanted to be forgiven. After a few speed bumps Alexandra and Jessel (9 year-old son) were ready for baptism. So on December 20th 2002 they were baptized as little 2 year-old Junelia stood by. Even though Alexandra was now baptized, the hurt that she had for her husband still remained because at her baptism Leonardo was no where to be found. We knew it would be nothing shy of a miracle if he too found the faith to stop drinking and become baptized.
Many months passed and Leonardo decided it would be best for his family to move to Las Vegas so he could pursue a new job opportunity. I bid them farewell and promised once I returned home from my mission that I would come visit them and always stay in contact. And that is exactly what I did. I visited them a handful of times in Vegas following my mission and my friend Leonardo was still the same Leonardo….and then his Father in Heaven stepped in.
About 18 month ago I received a phone call from Alexandra. She explained to me that Leonardo’s drinking had gone so out of control that he was put into the hospital and she thought she was going to lose him. This was Leonardo’s wake up call and he promised Alexandra he would stop drinking. He began going to AA and with much effort and persistence he became sober.
Long story…..short
Last Saturday I received a phone call from Leonardo telling me he was going to be baptized. He told me that he would like ME to baptize him. I told him I wouldn’t miss it for the world. Their little girl Junelia, who was so tiny when I first met her had now turned 8 and he said he wanted to get baptized on the same day as her just like Alexandra got baptized the same day as their son.
There was no better feeling then when I pulled that man out of the water. The same man that looked into my eyes 7 years ago and asked if there was any hope for him to be free from his sins. At the end of his baptism his Bishop asked him to stand and share his feelings. He told of the happiness that he felt that now his whole family was baptized and that he was clean from his sins. I flashed back to the man he used to be and the Spirit witnessed to me the power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. It brings hope to the lives of those that are plagued with sin. All sin, all habits, all trails, all discouragements can be overcome through this sacred cleansing power. If there is hope for Leonardo there is hope for all of us. For which I am so grateful. I hope we take every opportunity to get even the little sins out of our lives. I know there are some that even read this blog that think maybe they will never be freed from those temptations and habits that plague them. I testify that through Jesus Christ we will all overcome sin.









7 comments:
Very cool story little brother. That must have been an amazing feeling to see that whole family all baptized. Knocking doors does work! (Although I'm not sure it did in Portugal.)
That was a beautiful story Kurt. Thank you for sharing.
I love those "after the mission field" stories. I'm glad it had such a sweet ending. :)
Very inspiring Kurt. What a great blessing for you to be able to be a part of that. Woot woot for missionary work!
I'm glad to see that all your hard work in the mission paid off. Good times.
Very cool, thanks for sharing.
Awesome story...makes me excited for my own missionary son and for future experiences that maybe he'll have, too.
Post a Comment