Those of you that know me know that I am always reading something. I enjoy a good novel but for the most part whatever I read has to teach me something not just entertain me. Ever since I left school in the dust I am like a little boy in a candy store. I am reading all those books I resisted while I was plagued with the reminder to study boring books that contain information that seems useless (that's a post for another time).
A year or so ago I was introduced to a book called Influencer. It looked interesting and others I knew were reading it so I thought I would take some time and get through it. And it struck a chord with me and made me think differently. I like a book that makes me think, but when it makes me think differently it's a book that everyone has to read. I would preach the principles it taught to those around me and they would all look at me like I needed medication. I have read parts of this book over and over and feel that it is applicable to everyone's life. Now before I start a crazy cult and wait for the mothership to come get me, I kindly invite you to take a week and read this book and apply the principles.

Now, that brings me to the original point of why I was writing this posting. I finished another book that was just as good. In fact, it was written by the same company that put out Influencer. The company is called VitalSmarts by the way. And the book that I just finished is called Crucial Conversation: Tool for Talking When Stakes Are High. It basically teaches how to talk with others about sensitive issues without making them give you the silence treatment or making them bit your head off. I have even started using the techniques with my wife (without her realizing it) and I am amazed how she has stopped slapping me. Anyway...it's another good book that all should take the time to read.

...and to quote Lavar Burton...."But you don't have to take my word for it".
1 comment:
A good book that I recently read is Leadership and Self Deception. We read it as a leadership team at my work and it was actually really good. It teaches great things that apply both at work and home. You should check it out. I think you would enjoy it.
Post a Comment